MOVIE AWARDS: WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA?|MOVIE AWARDS: WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA?
Have you ever seen a masterfully-written movie like 'King of Boys', 'Black Panther', 'Money Heist' e.t.c that swept you off your feet and you're like 'Jeez, this movie certainly deserves an award'?
Yes, movies that are skillfully crafted ultimately do deserve an award.
As our film industry keeps growing, so does the list of film festivals and award ceremonies all over the world. But in all these festivals and ceremonies, what really matters are the awards! There are several awards and some of these awards are considered more important than others due to factors such as longevity, fan appreciation, and media appeal.
In this article, we will be exploring the prestigious Oscars award and its criteria. Without further ado, let's dive in!
THE OSCAR AWARDS
The Oscars, which is the most renowned and awaited film ceremony every year, is considered by nearly everyone as the most prestigious award a film can win.
It is the Academy Award for Best Picture and it is awarded once a year. The ceremony takes place in the first quarter of the year and it is watched live in over 200 countries.
CRITERIA FOR THE OSCARS
Like any other contest, there are some rules guiding the eligibility of a film for The Oscars. As a matter of fact, the rules that a feature-length film must adhere to in order for it to qualify for the academy awards are the same and they include;
1) The film must have a running length of more than 40 minutes.
2) Must have been exhibited theatrically on 35mm or 70mm film, or in a qualifying digital format.
3) The film must open in a commercial theater, for paid admission, in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight December 31, and run for seven consecutive days, at least three screenings daily (one of which needs to be between 6 PM and 10 PM).
4) It must be sufficiently advertised in Los Angeles media.
5) Films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category.
6) Official screen credit forms and copies of the main and end title credits must have been submitted to the Academy by December 1.
Certain genres are more successful than others in the Oscar Award race. Dramas, and, to some degree, musicals, have dominated the Best Picture nominees and winners since the 1970s while action, comedy, science fiction, superhero films, and fantasy are seldomly nominated for Best Picture.
The roughly 5800 members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences are eligible to vote to nominate movies for Best Picture as soon as Oscar nomination balloting begins.
For a film to secure a nomination, it has to receive at least 5% of the first-place rankings on nomination ballots.
As soon as nominations are announced, final ballots are sent to Academy voters. The final votes are tallied and the Best Picture winner is announced in the final minutes of the upcoming Oscars ceremony.
One thing is certain, whichever film wins the Oscars, is considered to be the absolute best cinematic achievement of the year.
Written by TOBI FADAIRO
LinkedIn: Tobi Fadairo
Medium: The Writing Rayol